Saturday, April 15, 2023

Epic Reading

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

My reading has been rather epic so far this year.

I did a re-read of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy to start the year off; I am not sure why but I just feel a compulsion to visit Middle Earth every two to four years.  Narnia, too, for that matter but I'm not hearing that siren song just yet.

But, just before the Easter costuming frenzy hit, I ordered a set of books I'd been hearing about for a while.


Staff got the Monday after Easter as a holiday, after a very full weekend, but I went in to work to get the data entry done and took my Monday on Thursday (offices are closed on Fridays).  My Sweet Babboo had a camping trip this weekend , so I 1) didn't set my alarm  and 2) settled in to read during mealtimes.  

Or at least, that was my plan.

So I started Book 1 at breakfast on Thursday.  Read a bit more at lunchtime, and a little bit more before I went to bed.  It was, to me, a rather awkward writing style and I struggled to get into the story but finished the book around lunch time on Friday.  Ditched the idea to just read at meals, and read while the laundry was running.  Finished book two Friday evening and started Book 3.  

The awkward writing style had abated somewhat...and I think I adjusted to it.  I stayed up until a ridiculously late hour, weeping slightly at the end of Book 3 and, against my better judgment, started book 4.

My morning coffee stretched through lunch and beyond, and, y'all, it was very nearly the ugly cry at the end of 4.

Lots to think about here.  

Now, to finish the other stuff I meant to do on my long weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment