Friday, April 14, 2023

Friday Faithfuls Two - 1 John

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi


1 John.  Y'all, that is a rich little book.    John starts by affirming his status as an eyewitness to everything Jesus said and did; but that passage is what I selected the first time I did this little cruise through the Bible, so, even though it blends nicely with the passage I selected from 2 Peter a couple of weeks ago, I have to pick a different passage.

What struck me this time, as I read through the five chapters that comprise John's letter to the church, is the contrast between two world views...'The World' and "Of God".  There is no commonality between the two; and a follower of God should not have a shred of a world-honoring lifestyle.

I kept changing my mind about the verse that I would select to sum up his position as I read through...and then the last verse hit me as perfect.

Dear children, keep yourselves from idols. -- 1John 5:21

What is an idol?  We tend to read this and think of the literal little statues and rocks and things that pagans set up as gods and to which they burn incense and make sacrifices, but the truth is that an idol is ANYTHING to which one holds allegiance that equals or supersedes devotion to God, or misdirects our devotion from God to the idol. 

Here's a test...imagine, for just a moment, that God required you to give up, in whatever form that takes, the thing/ideology/ position/ etc.....how do you react?  Do you feel threatened?  Offended?

Would you choose that [whatever] over a relationship with God if you recognize the choice?  Because once you see an idol in your life, you are at that choice.  Obedience...or not.  The Enemy will tell you it's not a big deal...you can have both.  Honor God and enjoy whatever benefits you perceive from the idol.  But remember...he lies.  You cannot keep both.  And I bet, deep down, we all know we can't do both. It takes some pretty strong self deception to convince ourselves that we can follow God and the world's influence at the same time.

The 'world' is FULL of idols.  The 'world' itself is an idol.  And if you are confused about what John means when he says 'the world', then read 1 Jn 2:15-17, where he describes it.

But...a Godly world view is simple.

God is supreme in all things.

Keep yourselves from idols.

No comments:

Post a Comment