Friday, January 27, 2012

Faithful Friday Faves - 2 John

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I confess to reading ahead last week and kind of pre-picking the verses for 2 and 3 John. It may sound weird, but I had a very poignant morning looking at the writings of John the Beloved, penned years and years after the events he recorded in his gospel.  His heart and concern for those he ministered to just shimmered out of the text as I read.  He warns and he encourages.

You can read the warnings for yourself; they are every bit as applicable to today's world as they were in the closing years of the first century.  I'm going to look at his encouragement today:

And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning.  I ask that we love one another.  And this is love:  that we walk in obedience to his commands.  As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love - 2 John 5 - 6

'Walking in love,' as John calls it, is often applied to how we treat our fellow man, and it is that.  But I think this passage also indicates that we are to walk in love with God, by obeying Him from a position of trust. 

Because isn't disobedience basically a lack of trust anyway?  That God really doesn't know what's best for me, so I'm going to make my own choices?

If we really trust Him, if we really love Him, obedience follows.

And, if we're obeying Him, we'll be doing right by our fellow humans.

That's walking in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment