Monday, March 2, 2009

One Door Closes, Another Opens.

Fresh starts.

That's a Jubilee thing.

And, ya know, I had a feeling this was the year for this particular change.

I didn't go hunting a job; I prayed for income. And the job sorta came to me.

So. After 23 years of being a SAHM, I filled out all the paperwork today and am now officially a part-time employee of my church, working in the accounting/human resources offices. Aside from my nervousness at having actual responsibilities outside the home, I'm finding myself much more melancholy about it than I expected.

It marks the end of an era. I'm suddenly wondering things like, 'Did I hug my kids enough when I had the chance?' Because I now have a title other than Mom.

I guess it really is a milestone of life; the return to work because the kids have grown enough that they don't need 24/7 parenting...and they're involved in things with, um, more expenses than just packages of diapers. (Note to self: The Actor's Production Fee is due tomorrow for the spring musical...).

Logistically, it's actually about perfect; I'll be working while the kids are in school, three days a week. I can shift the hours around as necessary for things like dentist/orthodontist appointments. So, as far as the kids know, things won't be too different. Actually, it's probably less time working at church than I put in when we're working on costumes for a dramatic production, so it shouldn't be so far out of the ordinary.

But the world feels different today. And I'm not really as excited about it as I thought I would be.

Once I figure out how it's all going to fit together, though, I think I'll be ok. There's just a lot to fit together.

Emotionally...psychologically...not to mention there are now three employed people living this household, and we only have two cars. *That's* going to take some creativity!

At least my co-workers are excited that I'm on board. Appreciation like that is a new thing, too... ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers as you find a new normal. May you find blessings you never expected! (And a slow cooker full of dinner!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)
    Thanks, Miriam!
    My crock pot is my friend...

    ReplyDelete