Saturday, October 5, 2013

Lies the Enemy Tells Me - #1: 'You're a Jinx'

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

As I did my study this morning, I was instructed to list lies that I had believed...lies the Enemy told me about myself.

I was amazed at what came out when I was writing in my journal; I thought I would share some of those, just in case someone else out there has heard the same sinister whispers and believed them.

I may have even blogged about some of these before...some, I know, will be seeing print for the first time, as I didn't want to face them.

But I'm going to start with the first lie.  I don't even think I'd started school yet when I heard this one.  But I remember it very well.

It was Christmas Eve.  We were just returning home from the annual dinner/gift exchange at Grandma's and someone had turned on the little black and white tv...a basketball game.

I do not have a clue who was playing...on the screen, all I could discern were white uniforms and dark uniforms.  For some reason, I decided I wanted one of the teams (and I don't remember which one) to win.

Suddenly, I thought that I needed to pretend, even in my thoughts, that I wanted the other team to win.

Because I knew, in one moment, that if I wanted one team to win, that would guarantee their loss.

In my child's mind, I thought ... if 'THEY' know who I want to win, 'THEY' will make sure the other team wins.

Stupid.  Incredible.  But I was convinced.

In my mind, I was a jinx.

I don't know where that came from, but that 'jinx' concept stuck.

It stuck through elementary school, where I was the last person picked to be on a team...usually with  groans.

It stuck through high school, where my school spirit posters mysteriously disappeared from the contest display.

It stuck in my prayer life... even as an adult, I had a nagging insecurity that said I should not name  anything specific, because that would insure it would not happen. And, of course, the Enemy would remind me over and over again of the prayers I prayed that apparently were not heard or answered as I wished.

But I am here to tell you, that is a lie.

Because God HAS answered my prayers.  He HAS blessed me abundantly.  He HAS done more than I could ask or imagine in so many ways.

But because I believed the lie, I couldn't see what He had done.

As I prayed over the lies today, the one thing that impressed me is that I was targeted.  The lies were the flaming arrows... the weapons of the enemy...that lodged and stuck.

And he fires those arrows at children.  Because if he can convince the child, he has silenced the adult.

But, for me and anyone else who has swallowed that lie, here is what Jesus said:

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you - John 15:16, ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment