Tuesday, March 24, 2009

God's Funny Like That.

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I noted yesterday that sometimes God will do things that don't turn out like I expect...thought I'd share a story...

Back in '95, I was in an especially hungry place spiritually. I was delighted to receive a brochure for a local non-denominational, non-church affiliated Christian Women's retreat and read that Anne Ortlund, author of Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman, a book that changed my life 20 years ago, was going to be the featured speaker.

I and a couple of other ladies from my church sent our registrations in right away, only to learn that the conference filled up almost overnight and we were on the waiting list.

I was devastated. I'd felt so sure that I was supposed to be at that conference. Days passed, weeks passed, and the week of the conference rolled around.

I was almost fasting (although fasting really wasn't part of my spiritual vocabulary at that time; I just was so emotionally invested I couldn't eat), praying that God would arrange things so we could go.

And, I really felt I heard Him tell me 'You will be there.'

Yet there was no phone call that we made it in.

The day of the conference, one of the other ladies and I decided we'd drive the hour to the conference site...just in case there were no-shows. We packed up, and arrived at the state park lodge about half way through the opening service. We checked in at the front desk, but so far there were not enough cancellations for us to get in. There were a few ladies who had come and were staying with friends, hoping to get into the conference also. We waited for the final latecomers to either show or no show, listening to the reactions of the ladies from the auditorium around the corner from the conference registration table. But, when the evening's session ended, we found that there was exactly the full number of conferees. There was no room for us.

So, we returned to the car and drove back to town. We had a great trip there and back, talking about things we never got a chance to talk about. Finally, I dropped my friend off and got home about midnight.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I was just beginning to try to hear from God, and I couldn't believe I mistook His voice. I heard from another friend the next day, who just happened to call to chat, and I related the story to her. 'I really wanted to be there!' I lamented to her, 'I really need an experience with God!'

'Oh!' She said, 'Our church has just started Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God study...I bet you could get still get into it!'

Long story short...I did get into it. And it changed my life. And through a connection made in that study I enrolled in Bible Study Fellowship the next fall.

I graduated from BSF seven years later. It also changed my life.

And my small group leader in the Experiencing God study was a link to the church we now attend.

And, while the friend who made the drive and I have gone different ways, we ran into each other at a wedding last summer, and she commented on that trip -- how good it had been and how much she'd enjoyed it. Somehow, the sharing we did ministered to her.

But, back in that day, I still had to reconcile what I thought I heard. And in my prayer time following the first few daily studies in Experiencing God, I rather remonstrated with my Father.

Lord, thank you for getting me into this study. But -- I really wanted to do the retreat. I thought you said I could go!

His reply...What are you complaining about? You WERE THERE, weren't you?

And, I had to agree...yes, I was there...

And it has led to so many things I didn't expect. All good.

God's funny like that.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story! I had one of those moments, too - I was complaining about my ever increasing hearing loss in prayer one evening, when God replied "Perhaps you can hear Me better now".
    No argument.

    ReplyDelete