Friday, June 24, 2022

Friday Faithfuls Two: Obadiah

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi


Obadiah isn't even measured in chapters...there are 21 verses in the whole book.   And it is a scathing denunciation of Edom, the nation that descended from Esau, for not only refusing to aid Israel/ Judah when the invading armies came but for joining in the looting of the nation, because they were of the same family.

But the first time I encountered this book, years ago, verses three and four struck me a little more personally 

"The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks and make your home on the heights, you who say to yourself, 'Who can bring me down to the ground?'  Though you soar like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down, " declares the LORD.

As the symbol of the United States is the eagle, and we have literally put people in space for extended periods of time, those verses slapped me hard.  I was slapped again in verse 7, just a little farther down...

"All your allies will force you to the border; your friends will deceive and overpower you; those who eat your bread will set a trap for you but you will not detect it."

I thought of all the nations to whom the US had given aid, who had denounced the West after collecting all the knowledge and goods that could be provided to them.

Now, I know that's not exactly the context or meaning of the scripture.  But that didn't stop the goosebumps from crawling over me as I pondered what the pride of our own nation might bring down upon us, all those years ago (seriously a long time ago.  It was before I had any kids...).

And it is purely coincidental that this little scripture on pride has landed during the month of June; I have no double entendres behind these observations.

I do think that 'pride' would be an interesting word study, but for now, it's enough to ponder the phrase, 'The pride of your heart has deceived you'.

Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment