Friday, October 8, 2021

Faithful Fridays Two - Leviticus

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi


Leviticus is a rather tedious book to read through; so many particulars of commandments and how tos and do nots...but on a skim through, one phrase repeatedly jumped out at me.  "I am the LORD" is repeated over and over and over.

But I'm looking for one verse/short passage so I noted that repetition but the verse I'm picking is Lev. 25:18 --

Follow my decrees and be careful to obey my laws, and you will live safely in the land.

This is the promise of the covenant; that if the people obeyed God he would protect them and give them everything they needed.  All that was required of them was to follow his instructions.

Sounds like a no-brainer, eh?  But humans are a stubborn lot, who want to have their own say and decide for themselves what's right.  Pride, y'all, that's pride.  And it was the downfall of the Israelites, who didn't understand why they couldn't do the things the people around them did...from their viewpoint, it seemed to work for the others, why not them?

Obedience = protection and provision. Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment