Friday, January 6, 2017

Awakening Champions....

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Happy Epiphany!

I'm pretty much taking a break from social media; it's our annual church-wide fast season and, since I've got some, um, health issues that preclude true fasting and have me on an extremely limited diet anyway, I've decided to 'fast' social media.  Only this post for the week.

Which is probably harder than drinking juice for 8 days, actually.

But I did do 'lunch' with my Bible and journal in the sanctuary on Wednesday (the first day of the fast...it runs through next Wednesday) and Thursday;  that is the best part of skipping a true lunch.  Not that I don't enjoy spending that short daily break with my co-workers...but there is something about sitting in the sanctuary, in the quiet, with no other demands apparent and just listening and writing and reading. 

We've had different focus points for each day; Wednesday was 'Awakening Passion' and yesterday was 'Awakening Identity'.  Today's is 'Awakening Covenant'.

I've had some rather raw moments during my journaling; saw some things I hadn't considered.

Yesterday's focus on identity brought up questions like...where does my identity really come from?  Legally, identity comes from the father...ponder that for just a second.  Identity comes from the Father.  Not from folks around me, not from what I do, not from the lifestyle I choose...from the Father.

That dovetailed nicely with the verse that had jumped off the page when I read it yesterday morning during my 3 & 1 time... John 5:44, 'How can you believe if you accept praise from one another yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?'

How can I really believe, really follow what God intends for my life if I let others...people...determine my identity; if I'm seeking to get their approval, their affirmation, their attention. 

That was a big SELAH when I read it, and I came back to it again as I pondered identity at lunchtime.

How can I seek the praise of the only God instead of getting my affirmation and direction from folks around me?  

Definitely food for thought.

The fast culminates in our Champions Summit Leadership conference which will be Thur - Sat next week, so I probably won't manage my typical Friday post.  But maybe I'll have some thoughts to share on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment