Monday, May 28, 2012

...And to the Republic, for Which It Stands...

It's not unusual for us to fly the flag, particularly in the summer; in fact, this is our second flag, as the first one finally shredded beyond my ability to repair it. Today being a patriotic holiday, I wanted to make sure it was out.

So I knocked the cobwebs out of the bracket, unfurled it in the slight breeze, and put the pole in place, stepped back and thought,

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the Republic, for which it stands,....

And got stuck there.  Not because I couldn't remember the rest, but because, in our current political season, that seems so shaky.

To the Republic, for which it stands...to the REPUBLIC for which it stands...
One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I determined a long time ago that I would not use my blogs as political platforms.  And I am not about to start.  But...somewhere along the way things have gotten sideways. The Right spins, the Left spins, we're all dizzy.  It's impossible to know who is REALLY telling the truth.  Or what the truth really is.


But the Republic - One nation,  blue states and red states, under God...and that is a whole post by itself... indivisible, which is crucial, with liberty and justice for all, regardless of who they are or what the media says about them - seems very precarious.

And today, on this day when we pause to remember and appreciate those who have stood (and are standing)  'between their loved homes and the war's desolation' (The Star Spangled Banner, verse 4),  I would just ask that anyone who has read all the way to the end would pause and pray for our country, take the time to be informed and, in November, vote for the good of the Republic.

2 comments:

  1. Done! This morning I was reading another blog about the number of men/women considered still MIA/POW by the Armed Forces.

    WW1 3,344
    WW2 78,537
    Cold War 120
    Korea 8,099
    Vietnam 1,702
    Afghanistan 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's staggering, Amy. I just read an article within the past week about the one soldier who is a POW in Afghanistan. He is Army Sgt.Bowe Bergdahl, definitely someone to hold up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete