Monday, July 14, 2008

Jubilee Monday #1

Ok, I decided that, if I'm really going to be in pursuit of Jubilee this year, I need to do something active about it. So for (hopefully) 52 Mondays I'll post something about the Jubilee year.

And, here's the first thing that has been percolating about in my thoughts regarding Jubilee.

I admit to being a bit perplexed by the instruction ...do not sow and do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the untended vines. For it is a jubilee and is to be holy for you; eat only what is taken directly from the fields.

Is it just me, or does this seem contradictory at first glance?

It took me a while to realize the difference between harvesting/reaping and taking directly from the field. Harvesting means collecting all the produce and storing it up for later use; when food is taken directly from the field, one goes out, collects what is needed for the meal or day's meals, prepares it and eats it. Nothing is stored for later use.

The whole sabbath/jubilee thing really is an exercise in trusting God, after all.

So, if this is my personal Year of Jubilee, how does that translate?

If you know me from the sewing blog, you know I am an avid fabric stasher. Always looking for that unique or especially useful piece of fabric at a bargain...even if I'm not going to use it right away. Shoot, at Christmas time I bought a piece of fabric that will make a smashing 'Mother of the ()' outfit, and I have no offspring who are even dating at the moment. But it was pretty and...well, I got it.

So my first, most obvious application is that I need to purchase only what is going to be sewn up immediately for the next year.

Boy, that will be hard. I've tried to do that from time to time in the past, and it always has collapsed when I stumbled across an incredible sale or unique fabric purchasing opportunity.

But, I think, since I'm considering it a Jubilee year, maybe this time I'll make it.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment