Friday, July 11, 2008

It's the Year of Jubilee...

Count off seven sabbaths of years -- seven times seven years-- so that the seven sabbaths of years amount to a period of forty-nine years. Then have the trumpet sounded everywhere...sound the trumpet throughout your land. Consecrate the fiftieth year and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you; each one of you is to return to his family property and each to his own clan. The fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you; do not sow and do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the untended vines. For it is a jubilee and is to be holy for you; eat only what is taken directly from the fields. In this Year of Jubilee everyone is to return to his own property. --Lev. 25:8 - 13, NIV

I had lunch with a friend a few years back; she was a bit older than me and approaching her 50th birthday. She told me that she felt she should use the year she was 49 as the 'Jubilee'...and actively seek ways in which she could release debts, live off what God provides and return to her inheritance...most of those were abstract items, of course, but it has stirred around in my spirit ever since.

Now I've hit my own 'Jubilee Year' and I've determined I'm going to do the same thing. I'm not sure how that will all play out, but I've got some ideas.

It should be an interesting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment