Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Five 'B's': Becoming

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

The Five 'B's' of a Godly Woman: A Blogged Bible Study

Syllabus:
July 29 -- Intro
Aug. 5 -- B1: Brave
Aug. 12 -- B2: Beautiful
Aug. 19 -- B3: Bold
Aug. 26 -- B4: Bride
Sept. 2 -- B5: Becoming
Sept. 9 -- Conclusion

A Godly Woman is...Becoming


Ya never know what the dictionary might say... here's what my American Heritage has to say for Becoming:
(adj)1) Appropriate; suitable; proper
2) Pleasing or attractive to the eye.

I have to go up a bit in the word list to become to find what I expected...the intransitive verb which is defined 'to grow or come to be'.

Perhaps there's a lesson there.

I have been mentally laying out my discussion for this lesson for a couple of days; all centered around the idea that 'becoming' basically means changing, growing, morphing. The verses I planned to use included things like 2 Corinthians 3:18...And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

And -- I'm being honest -- I was kind of resigned to the notion that I really wouldn't find anything *new* to say, no fresh revelation. Haven't we all been told, often, how God is in the process of remaking us? From even simple children's songs.. He's still workin' on me, to make me what I ought to be... to T shirt slogans; PBPWMGNFWMY (Please be patient with me, God's not finished with me yet) to posters (I have one with a cute kitten picture on the wall in my Jr. High Girl's Friends Club room that declares: God loves me the way I am, and too much to let me stay that way.)

I did think for a moment about 'becoming' as being attractive, flattering, as in that color is so becoming to you! and thought I could slip that in the study, but to find that becoming (adj) is defined as appropriate, suitable and proper was something of a surprise.

And, to be perfectly clear, I really believe the verb was the intention in our lesson on the Five B's back in July, which was the inspiration for this study.

But perhaps there is something God wants to say to us now about 'becoming' that is new and unexpected.

One of my recent 'Wow' books is Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge. I realize there are very varied opinions about it, but there is a profound statement on pages six and seven (and, no, I am not going to turn this into a study of the book; Stasi says something I need to quote): I know I am not alone in this nagging sense of not being good enough as a woman. Every woman I've ever met feels it -- something deeper than just the sense of failing at what she does. An underlying, gut feeling at failing at who she is. I am not enough, and I am too much at the same time.

That feeling like I'm 'too much and not enough' has plagued me for most of my life. That is just the best description of it.

But, what if a Godly woman really is 'becoming'...the adjective? Then I find that I am neither too much nor not enough, but appropriate, suitable, proper.

To quote Goldilocks, 'Just right!'

Ok, I realize that this could be heading off into dangerous ground. Ground that says I'm just fine as I am, thank you, and I don't need to change anything about me. Ground that really does away with those Scriptures about changing. And that's not what 'becoming' should mean at all. Yes, we are being changed from glory to glory. Yes, we are being conformed to the likeness of Jesus. We are a fallen people in a fallen world and we must be renewed and transformed. The Bible is very clear on that!

But, what I think we do sometimes is allow the Enemy to convince us that we are not worth God's time, God's effort, God's love. We are too much sinner and not enough saint for Him to bless us, or be concerned with us, or answer our prayers. That, my beloved friend who's stuck with me this far today, is a lie that must be recognized and dealt with.

The key is...who is doing the transforming? Am I trying to transform myself so that God will accept me? If I am, then the word I need to know is that I am BECOMING. I need to know that I am appropriate, suitable, proper. Appropriate for God to work on, suitable for Him to use, and in the proper place at this point in my life. Once I know those things, then it ceases to be me doing the work and simply becomes me being receptive to His work. Allowing him to prune those things that are too much and cultivate those things that are not enough.

When we submit to His process, then we truly are becoming...both the verb and the adjective.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 2 Cor. 5:17

...put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Eph. 4:24

For you were once darkness,but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Eph. 5: 8 - 10

But now, he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation. Col. 1:22

Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Phil. 1:6


Closing thoughts: How have I allowed my need to grow and change to become an obstacle for believing God loves me and accepts me as I am now? In what ways do I limit God from acting in my life because I believe I am 'too much' and 'not enough'?

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I'm so glad you found my blog so I could read up and study yours. Lots of food for thought on your page and I love that!! Soul searching keeps us moving forward!

    See you at church.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete