Monday, September 29, 2008

Jubilee Monday #11: Not guilty

I did something last week that I normally do not do.

I literally took a day off and did nothing productive.

Well, not in a quantitative way, anyway. I read a book my 15 Year Old Son (AKA 'The Actor -- he's in the local city school drama magnet program) was dying to talk about. It was a *big* book: 748 pages long.

And I spent Friday reading it. All. Day. Friday.

But I got it done and he was happy to discuss some things about it. So I suppose it wasn't a total waste of time.

However, I constantly fought a nagging sensation of 'I should be doing...' all day.

But I reminded myself that I was on the lookout for opportunities to do nothing; to rest. I decided this was a good one.

Now, I'm not looking for excuses not to do laundry, bookkeeping, etc., but sometimes a bit of downtime is a good thing.

That's one of the purposes of Jubilee.

So, I refuse to consider myself guilty of laziness; instead, I chose a day of rest.

And you know...the numb nearly-over-done sensation has lifted a bit. I feel more normal now than I have in a while.

Rest really is good.

1 comment:

  1. Last week I was reading other blogs and came across a comment to someone else (wish I'd written down who!) that said that sometimes it is okay to go into a fallow mode -- that the readers would be there waiting when that blogger was ready to return to blogging. As I thought about it, it makes sense. We let fields lay fallow for a season so that they can once again produce high yields. Crop rotation accomplishes the same. In areas of drought, fields are not always planted every year. Sometimes it's every other year.

    My point is this - you needed to read all day (and not feel guilty about it) because it was time for you to do just that. Plus The Actor needed to share that book with his mom.

    Glad you are feeling less numb.

    ReplyDelete