Saturday, July 19, 2008

Tending my own vineyard

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

...my mother's sons were angry with me and made me take care of the vineyards; my own vineyard I have neglected. -Song of Solomon 1:6b

I remember reading that a few years ago and it struck me how easy it is to tend to everyone else's problems, do what is expected by others, or even just get tied up in ministry, and just run out of time and energy to tend the personal vineyard.

Last spring, I realized I'd neglected things far too long; so I took a calendar and penciled in 'At Home Week' once every three months, just so I'd preserve a week w/no outside obligations. I also decided then that I'd stay off the internet for that week, and just tend to personal stuff.

Next week is the first scheduled 'At Home Week'...the others will be the 3rd week of October, the 3rd week of January and the 3rd week of April each year, if all goes according to plan.

So, next week I'll be tending the vineyard and praying for guidance...when I'm back on the 28th I hope to have a direction for the next Bible Study time.

Hope everyone has a great week next week and finds time to do a little of your own 'vineyard tending'...whatever form that needs to take.

3 comments:

  1. This verse struck a note with me today...our family has lived this way for years. Some people and situations have demanded more than a fair share of our time and energy. Efforts to pull back have usually not been a "team" effort. However, this particular time seems different. Think I'll spend some more time in prayer, study and meditation. After all, purposeful deliberateness in these disciplines does help develop discernment and discernment brings understanding of situations and directions in which God wishes us to go.

    I am so glad you have followed the nudgings of the Spirit to develop this blog. Its presence feeds me as well as your sewing blog does. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Miriam! You've no idea how much your comment encouraged me today.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Have a great week! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete