Sunday, September 11, 2022

Friday Faithfuls Two - Luke

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi


Y'know, I really should have named this series somthing different...to allow for those weeks where I'm, um, a little late posting the selection.

This was Women's Conference weekend...so, yeah, there was stuff going on.  So I'm pretending Sunday is Friday and trying to forget I have to go to work tomorrow morning, lol.

But, the weekly assingment is to skim through one book and take a look a the verse that catches my eye, for whatever reason.

I really thought I was going to use a verse from very early in the book, but as I skimmed through there was another one that was a little more insistent...

"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' " -- Lk 16:31

This, of course, is the last bit of the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus...the 'he' and 'him' in this verse being Abraham and The Rich Man,  as related by Jesus.

What hit me was...wow, this has a serious double meaning.  The immediate application that it would be useless to send Lazarus to warn the Rich Man's brothers of their fate if they don't repent...but also  a rather pointed foreshadowing of the fact that Jesus was soon to rise from the dead, and there would still be folks who didn't believe.

...even if someone rises from the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment