Saturday, September 18, 2021

Friday Faithfuls Two: Genesis

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi



Several years ago (Ok, I started in 2010), I did a series in which I picked one verse/ passage from each book of the Bible and had a quick little devo/ discussion on it...Faithful Friday Faves

For some strange reason (maybe I feel overwhelmed? LOL) I got the urge to do it again.  But I *will* give myself the condition that I can't choose any verse that I picked the first go-round.  This is not going to be any sort of attempt to find the key verse in the book, or something that is my all-time favorite...just whatever verse stands out to me in the week.

This is  a kind of 'Bible Study Lite', I admit...but it was a fun and rather thought provoking thing ten years ago...I don't think it's a bad idea to do a skim though once in a decade, lol.

Anyway, we'll start with Genesis tonight...

Here's what caught my eye as I skimmed through:

When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware of it."  (Gen. 28:16 NIV84).

This has always struck me as a sad verse.  What a great missed opportunity...to have been in the very presence of the Lord, and be so consumed with life's...issues...that there is no awareness at all of the Lord's proximity.

But how often have I been in the presence of God, and been unaware?  How many church services have I been physically in, but mentally elsewhere, while the Word and the Presence moved among others there?    How many days have I gone without taking even a few moments to sit in His Presence because I was so busy?  How many times has God been there to commune, to comfort, to guide...and I wasn't even aware?

More than I care to admit.  Probably more than I even know. 

Ouch.


No comments:

Post a Comment