Friday, July 26, 2019

Vacations are always too short.

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi.

Well, generally speaking, anyway.  I suppose it's theoretically possible to stay somewhere long enough  to be bored and ready to come home but I have not had that experience, lol.

We had timeshare points that were going to go away in December; if we didn't use them, we'd lose them.  We only get one week every other year, and we didn't use them last year, thinking we would use them for planned family Disney trip this fall.  Ultimately, though, we decided to stay on Disney property for a number of reasons...which meant we had to use those points.

And we left it too late.  It wasn't a matter of 'where do you want to go?' -- it was 'Oh, gee, what can we get, during a week that we can use it?'

So we ended up at a resort in northern Georgia...that was about 7 miles away from the nearest town, situated near a golf course.

And since they only have two-bedroom units, and 'our'  one-week-every-other-year unit has only one bedroom, 4 days was the max.

But, you know, my idea of a vacation is to go someplace quiet and do ....nothing.  Or something. Sleep late.  Read books.  So 4 days in the middle of nowhere in Georgia really wasn't bad.

It rained the first two days and was gorgeous the other two.

I finally finished a project I started LAST year...when we went to a state park for 3 days and my hubby was half sick so we did pretty much nothing.  That was the last 'no -agenda' vacation, and I thought I could do something specific.

I'd gotten Dr Caroline Leaf's book The Perfect You   when she spoke at our women's conference a few years back.  In the middle of this book is something she calls 'the Unique Qualitative (UQ) Assement Tool'.  I was told it was a 350 - question quiz to help identify how an individual's mind operates.  I thought it would be like all those quizzes you take on Facebook...'Pick the phrase that best describes you', sort of thing, with a key at the back to explain what all the answers mean.

Ha ha and HA!.  It's 350+ essay questions.  7 modules with at least 50 questions in each module. So, I thought last spring, with three days at a state park with basically nothing to do, I should finish easily.

HAHAHA again.  I wrote like a beast, except for a couple of 'let's take a walk' or 'let's play Ticket to Ride' breaks, and I got through FOUR of the seven units.

I puttered around with it at slow moments in the interim, but when we packed up to leave over the weekend I still had the last module to do.  So, I decided that, if I got NOTHING else done while gone, I would finish that last module.

It rained Monday and Tuesday, and it wasn't until Tuesday afternoon that I finished.

Whew.

All totaled, I wrote 119 pages in a college-ruled composition book.

It's the 'Book of Lisa', y'all.

And, here's the kicker, there's no real key to interpreting the data.

Because the awareness comes as you are answering the questions...and then evaluating all the answers you gave for a particular module.  No one sees the answers but you and they don't compare to a standard.  There's no reason not to be brutally honest with yourself, which is good, because this is an exercise in introspection and self awareness.  Some areas I knew I would be strong in, I was.  Some I expected to be strong in, I wasn't.  And I could see that as I answered the questions.  Because I wrote the questions and the answers in the composition book, I can now go back and re-read and consider the impact of those answers.  I think it will take another focused effort to analyze and interpret my answers...and then apply what I learn.

It sounds crazy, just looking at that, but it really was a journey of self-discovery.  It's going to be another journey of  adaptation in some areas.

And I still have to finish reading the last third of the book, lol.

But...hey, I really DID that thing! :-)

We didn't have a view of the mountains like I'd hoped, but we did have a nice open sky.

And you all know...I love the sky...so here's a pic from vacation that seems appropriate.


No comments:

Post a Comment