Sunday, September 1, 2013

SSMT - Verse 17: Col. 2:8

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I keep having problems remembering to make a note of verses that I find between 'post days' for consideration as the next choice.

However, sometime in the past two weeks I did remember to scribble a reference on the back of my spiral notecard book.

When I looked it up, I realized it was perfect, as we have been talking much about the deception that is so prevalent in our society today in both the classes I teach at church.

Col. 2:8, NIV 84:

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.


It's an interesting follow-on to Verse 16,  and the thoughts I had about people being deceived by leaders they trusted.  This verse puts the responsibility to avoid deception squarely with each individual. Oh, those false teachers will face the consequences of falsely representing God,  but ultimately each person is responsible to make sure that what they are accepting is really truly based on God's truth and not on some human-based notion.

That pretty well shoots any excuses right outta the water, doesn't it?  See to it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment