Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day Sentiment...

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I went shopping for a Mother's Day card for my mom.

I don't know what was up with that this year, but I failed miserably at finding one.

Maybe I was just not at the right place at the right time, but I couldn't find anything that said what I wanted to say.

So I thought I'd just do a little blog post to express my appreciation for someone whose impact on my life may, just possibly, be the greatest of anyone.

I mean, she's my mom.  I wouldn't even BE here without her.  But beyond that...

It was Mom who taught me to write the alphabet and write my name...on a little chalkboard in the old kitchen of the old house...while she ironed the laundry on the rotary iron.

It was Mom who drove us to the library in the next town over, so I could satisfy my desire to read.  I remember we were to read six books during that first summer reading program when I was in 3rd or 4th grade...putting little fish stickers on a poster for every book we read.  I was surprised...only six?  I think I read something like 20. The library was a magic place...and Mom took me.

It was Mom who taught me to sew on the green Brother sewing machine with the external belt drive motor.  She also taught me, to my great frustration, to unpick the sewing that wasn't up to par.  A trip to the fabric store was a treat...and it was Mom who funded my first projects.

It was Mom who took us all to Sunday School, who made sure we got to youth group activities, who gave me the beautiful little Cambridge King James Bible that sustained my quest for truth when I was in high school.

It was Mom who came to the concerts and plays and such when I was in  high school.  She was there.

She did what she could...and, in hindsight, the amount that she did was little short of miraculous.  A farm wife with four kids...constantly cooking, canning, freezing, gardening, sewing...she did it.

I never appreciated it, growing up.  I didn't see what was going on.  She was in the world of Grown Ups, doing what Grown Ups did, from my point of view.

I didn't realize then how many grown ups really DIDN'T do those things. 

Even now, she still does whatever she can to help.  The grace she extends to others is a constant challenge to me to be as gracious.

So,  even though all those cards said the same things, I couldn't quite find in them the depth of meaning that I wanted.

Thanks, Mom, for all that you've done and all that you do.  I love you very much.

Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment