Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm not comfortable with that...

2011 is almost half way through. Can you believe it?

It has been an astonishing year...and that's just the weather.

The changes I felt coming back when the year started still have not fully manifested; I still am not sure what, exactly is going to change. But I told a friend at church last night that I refuse to hit December 31 and still be the same as I was on Jan. 1.

I don't yet know where I'm going, but I'll tell you what God's been doing.

He's been pointing out individuals to me who have had great doors opened to them, and he has shown me that those folks sacrificed much in order to devote themselves to the pursuit of God and the call of their heart's passion.

I'm beginning to wonder just how willing I really am to make similar sacrifices.

I'm finding out that I am quite the creature of comfort. I like the familiar, well-worn patterns...even if they're not terribly productive or influential. They are comfortable.

But it's becoming more and more apparent that, where ever I'm going, I'm going to have to give up comfortable.

And do you know what? My 'self' is Not Liking This One Bit.

Which is beginning to make me wonder if the one of the greatest enemies we have to overcome is Comfort. Physical comfort, emotional comfort, spiritual comfort...none of it is truly compatible w/taking up the cross and dying daily.

If I'm honest, the more I'm looking at this, the more I'm convinced that Comfort has very nearly been an idol in my life. And it's time to tear down that altar and make uncomfortable choices. How could I choose to stay where I'm comfortable and not draw closer to Him? Never *see* if I could walk in His presence as those who He has pointed out to me do?

Oh, no, I'm not comfortable with that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment