Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Blizzard of '78

I'm still rooting for a 3" snow down here in the Rocket City; Linda's Post from the snowy Hoosierland made me all homesick for just one good Indiana snow. And, she happened to mention the Blizzard of '78, so I dug out an album and found a couple of photos from that memorable event.


I was a freshman at the University of Evansville at the time, and I well remember the thunderstorm we had that turned into snow with thunder that eventually left about a foot of snow on Indiana's toe (More in the rest of the state...). At that time, Evansville didn't handle a bunch of snow much better than it would get handled here in North Alabama, and the town shut down for a week; we missed at least a couple of days of school. I was one of a bunch of folks from the IVCF group on campus who went out in front of Morton Hall (my dorm) and built a snow sculpture; it was supposed to mean 'One Way'. Wouldn't you know, sometime that night some joker tried to move the finger from the first to the second knuckle, which failed utterly and just left a fist on the lawn until it melted. But our intentions were good.

Of course, there's only a vague suggestion that the blurry shapes in this 31-year-old 110-instamatic photo are even actual humans, but I am the one in the second row on the left with the white hat.

The snow was still around when we went on spring break a couple of weeks later, and you can see that the fence between my folk's back yard and the pasture behind the house was totally overwhelmed.

Incidentally, not only did I photograph phenomenal snowfall on that 'spring break', I visited my BFF at Purdue (they were not on spring break) and she introduced me to a tall blond engineering student from Elkhart who later became my husband.

Altogether a pivotal event. ;)

I'd take a picture of the weather outside my house now, but it's really boring. Clear sunset and 42 degrees F....

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this! And I loved the narrative that went with it. That was some harsh blizzard. I'm so glad you posted this; thanks for going to the trouble because it made me have wonderful nostalgic feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your snow pictures!

    You will NOT regret the Song of Albion trilogy. I'm not sure they're still in print, but you can always find them in the library or used on eBay. For several years, I'd buy sets on eBay to give as gifts.

    In looking at your "Other Stuff" widget, I loves the Walk books by Jenkins. I remember reading them first when I was about 13 I guess. Also, Phil Keaggy is my FAVORITE. We must be kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer! I think sometimes the website info is for the UK dates since that's where he lives. Often, the UK versions release a little sooner than the US ones. At least it's not too far away!

    ReplyDelete