Thursday, September 18, 2008

I feel like a 'Backslider'

I got an email from a good friend yesterday. One that had a lovely inspiring message about praying for friends.

At the conclusion of this lovely inspiring message, I was instructed to send the email on to ten friends, including the one who sent it, to let them know I prayed for them (don't forget to actually pray!).

I deleted it.

Oh, I hate the way those emails make me feel! Like some kind of low-life self-centered Christian who would refuse to pray for a friend.

Now, I didn't say I didn't pray. But I deleted the email. Giving the *impression* that I didn't pray.

I probably get one a month from various folks...emails that are wonderful, until you get to the last bit that says 'Now, if you love Jesus (or your friends or whatever), send this to...' Sometimes they even add 'If not, just delete this,' which really cranks up the guilt factor.

Why do people do that? I don't think my friend intended to make me feel bad; I'm sure she intended to just let me know she held me up to the Father, for which I am grateful. Just passing it along, without really thinking about the implications of the tail end of it. No, whoever wrote the email in the beginning and added that is the person I don't understand. It feels...manipulative. I feel like I have *no* good options....

I suppose I could delete the last few lines if I decide it's worth sending on, and substitute something like 'you are under no obligation to do anything whatever in response to this. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you.'

Maybe that would work. I dunno. I doubt it'll ever stop the cringe when I see 'If this touched your heart, forward this to ten people whom you would like to encourage today....'

And, btw, you are under no obligation whatever to respond in any way to this post.

;)

6 comments:

  1. Totally with you! I can not think of how many of those emails, text messages, etc. that I have received and didn't pass on. And yes, I too feel guilty. I have earned the reputation in my family for being the one person that will not send them on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, before I forget. My pastor is just the most wonderful bible teacher and he has started a new series about the family. He really stepped on my toes last night. Anyway, he said that there must be a balance between play, with friends and with being alone. It made me think of you and how you are trying to schedule some rest/down time. And by the way, I AM praying for you. Burn out is not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I experience the same twinge of guilt when I delete those emails. But usually only as long as it takes me to tap the delete button. I figure that if something has that manipulative (btw, good word choice!) phrase anywhere in it, then it has just countermanded the spiritual intent of the email.

    So know this...you are not alone in deleting those heart string pulling emails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean. I have forwarded a few on but most of them I delete. I usually get 3-5 a week. Maybe we could start a movement with the addendum you made at the bottom of your post. Who knows, maybe they will stop altogether. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so bad....I delete most of those. I feel guilty...but just don't have the time to do all those forwards!!

    ReplyDelete