Monday, July 28, 2008

Jubilee Monday #2

Hm. I don't think I'll actually get 52 Jubilee Monday posts after all; there'll be a couple of out-of-town weeks, and once every three months I'll have a 'no blog' week...so, I'll shoot for 48?

Anyway, I'm still mulling over the idea of not harvesting, but eating only what comes directly from the fields.

This really is an injunction to rely on God's provision. And, I'll be honest, there are times when I'd really rather rely on a fat savings account. Humans are so much more comfortable when we can handle, measure, and store up our provision ourselves; putting our treasure in Heaven and trusting that God will provide everything we need for us is, um, difficult.

Maybe we're afraid that God's idea of what we need is different from our idea? Ok, maybe I'm afraid that God's idea of what I need is not the same as MY idea of what I need?

So here's another Jubilee nugget: during this year, I need to look for opportunities to trust in God's provision, letting Him show me what I really need, instead of begging and pleading that He would provide what I believe I need.

4 comments:

  1. So what about thinking/approaching this concept in this manner...Yes, God's time/manner is different from our conception of time/manner but we are instructed to be good stewards over what we do have. By being good stewards over what we do, own, eat, etc., we are opening the door to being able to obey and receive the goodness that God has in store for us. To me this means being mindful in my actions in everything everyday. I think this also opens up an avenue by which we are given testimony to share with others about the blessings we have received because we have chosen to be mindful of and obedient to God's teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Miriam! Our pastor called it 'coming into alignment' in a sermon series a while back. If we properly handle what God has given us, it aligns us with His purpose and we will see Him work in new and greater ways. But...I'm being honest...I have some places where my trust is a little shaky that I try very hard to pretend are ok. And it's those places that I'm looking for now...to specifically trust God in...instead of sweeping them under the carpet and ignoring them. Those places need to come into alignment, too. I've let them stay in the blind spot long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is part of being human and trying, trying always to become that which we are called to be! The more we learn, the more we realize we do not know. (Rats! And here I thought I knew it all! Ha! Yeah, right, lol.) But then again, it is all part of a maturation process. So while our chronilogical age says one thing, our spirtual knowledge and growth age is most likely at a different plane because we are human. Because we are aware of what our strengths and weaknesses are, we need to allow ourselves what is needed to develop and grow too. For me, it becomes very easy to pretend too. I focus on what I do well and don't even want to acknowledge or work on the areas of my life that aren't so swift. So maybe now is the time that we are being allowed to "stretch"--something is uncomfortable but we are trying to move beyond the discomfort and GROW! However, me being able to write/say all these things doesn't not mean I have achieved them myself! I find myself having the same questions that you write about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I focus on what I do well and don't even want to acknowledge or work on the areas of my life that aren't so swift. I am SO with you here!!! That is just the plain truth!...ouch...

    ReplyDelete