Saturday, April 13, 2024

The Heavens Declare...

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I got to see my second total eclipse on Monday.

It was just as amazing as the first, even though my pictures are pitiful.

Both my sons had some awesome pics; I think I need to sit down and read all the photography tips I can find for my Pixel 7a.  I  just don't know much more than point and shoot.

All the family except one nephew made the trek to my parent's farm, which was right in the path of totality. At about 30% we headed down the lane and across the road to the hill in the field for a 360 degree view.


My brother got a drone shot of us all looking at the sky at about 50% (I am in the purple T shirt with my hands clasped in front)

The Artist elected to find a different vantage point; he's on top of the taller of the two grain bins, back up near the house.  The Princess got this shot; which is amazing considering how zoomed in she was from across the road.
I don't know if the Artist's spot was actually better than the hill across the road, but he did get some fantastic pics up there.


(Click on the above photo to make it big enough to see the actual eclipse...and, I think, Venus) 
The photo I got looks pretty lame compared to his...just didn't pick up the gorgeous colors at all.




It is amazing how the switch flips from 99.9% to  totality and again when the moon just beings to clear.  At the end, it was like standing on a dark stage, then suddenly someone hit us with a spotlight.

So many folks were content to see the 'almost total'...when a wee bit of driving would have gotten them to totality.  It's magnitudes more amazing.

And the next comparable eclipse in the US isn't until 2045.  I will be an old, old woman then.

So glad the weather cooperated.  It rained on the farm Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week., but Monday was a gorgeous day.

And, as it happened, my Father-in-law's internment  happened two days later, on what would have been his 99th birthday.  Since we were just 3 hours away on Monday, we all elected to stay a couple more days so we could attend that short service.  Which was far enough away that it didn't rain there.

No frou frou, and it was 99.9 percent immediate family. After the pastor spoke, and the, for want of a better term, boxing up began, someone said, 'We should sing something'.  

So we all sang 'The Lord Bless You and Keep You / Seven fold Amen'

Only half of us knew the first part, and we were all a little lumpy throated but...it worked.

And, appropriately, the columbarium that the ashes were placed in is labeled 'Harmony'.

So...a good trip.  A very good trip.

There was a lovely sunset Monday after the eclipse as well.


The heavens do, indeed, declare the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment