Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Hodge Podge for Valentine's Day

 Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi.

It happens, from time to time, when I read the questions for the weekly Hodge-podge meme...one jumps out and grabs me and insists on being answered.

Can you guess which one it was this week? LOL

Click the box to find all the folks participating in this week's exploration of Love...we're all answering the same questions...



1. What does love mean to you? 

Love is one of those weird ambiguous words.  The Greeks have at least four different words for love...eros, phileo, storge, agape...  each one with a different nuanced meaning.  But English has one word - love - for the whole spectrum.  We English speaking Americans love pizza, love chocolate, love our sports team, love our college, love the beach, love our cat (or dog), love our spouse, love our kids, love our parents, love our friends...the list goes on and on.  But, since we're talking about the day honoring St. Valentine...who, according to one tradition, was put to death for breaking the law and performing marriage ceremonies in defiance of the ban intended to keep young men eligible for military service...I believe love is the binding that keeps people connected and working towards one another's good.  It's not a feeling...it's an emotion beyond feeling that borders on compulsion.  One must care for the beloved or break something in one's heart.

2. Is love blind?  

No.  Infatuation is blind.  Obsession is blind.  Love sees all the flaws...and commits the heart anyway.  Love recognizes the differences and finds ways to work with and around them. 

3. How do you remember Valentine's Day as a kid? Do you have any special plans for the day this year? 

I wrote a blog post years ago about my experiences with Valentine's day as a kid...but Valentine's day falls on a Wednesday this year, and Wednesdays are Very Busy Days.  Maybe a card and a bit of chocolate?  Maybe? LOL

4 Are you a fan of the movie genre known as 'rom-com'? What's your favorite (or one of your favorites)?

Generally speaking, I love a movie that makes me laugh.  Some Rom Coms do...and some just seem kinda dumb.  But you can't go wrong with a classic like What's Up, Doc?   I think that counts as a Rom-Com, lol, although I've seen it referred to as  a 'Screwball Comedy'...

5. What's something you recently put your heart into? 

The 30- Day Shred.  Which isn't what you think it is, lol. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.  

In general, I think Valentine's Day is WAYYYY over hyped. As a day to remind your beloved just how important s/he is to you...great.  As a day to spend $$$$ on big-ticket gifts (a car?  A big screen TV?  Seriously???)...or as a rationalization for extorting diamonds or pearls or whatever from your sweetie...good grief no....

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers today! I was looking at social media earlier today and I was amazed at the number of gifts some people gave to their children for Valentine's day. Hubby and I decided not to do any gifts this year but will go out to eat in the future. I work on a church staff and will be working late tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Church staffer here, too, and Wednesdays are long days! ;-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I still enjoy cards, ridiculous as the cost is today, and I like choosing one for hubs and my grands too. I have no expectations, and my hubs is thoughtful on ordinary days which counts for more I think. I definitely don't want to dine in a crowded restaurant so we rarely go out on this day. It's nice to see you in the HP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restaurants and flowers on Valentine's day are more trouble than they're worth, lol. Although a bit of chocolate is always nice. ;-). I enjoyed playing!

      Delete
  3. What's Up Doc was the first date my hubby and I went on! I remember laughing a lot. I'm glad you give the explanation of the title of your blog. Happy Valentine's day to you where love is enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked your answer to #2 - very well said

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That was the question that demanded an answer this week. You get the gold star!

      Delete