Friday, May 5, 2017

Master's is DONE!

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Three weeks is long enough to go without posting...something...

I have officially finished my online master's degree.

I feel like I should put an asterisk by that, with a footnote stating that I don't think I did coursework comparable to attending a brick-and-mortar campus.

I think the institution from which I am receiving the degree is changing and plans to make much use of social media to increase the workload, so I probably got through easier than those who will follow.

Not sure how accomplished I feel.


The only class that was a drag was the one in which I had to read a handbook of weddings and funerals.

The wedding ceremonies were nice, and some had very touching, creative bits.

But there were way more funeral samples.  How many funerals can you read before a dark cloud descends?

Some were about aged saints who went home to glory and left grand legacies.  Those were inspiring.

But the rest...oy.

Was glad to finish that one.

The textbook I was least impressed with was the last one...an overview of the entire Bible and Apocrypha.

The author wrote two or three points that were just plain wrong.  As in, I don't know how those statements got past a proofreader.

But more than that, he couldn't seem to decide if he were writing to give evidence that the Bible is accurate or to cite folks who wanted to logically explain why it was inaccurate.

It felt...mushy.

Still, there were some good insights so it wasn't a total washout.

By and large, the year of study was good for me.  I commented to a friend that even if I have no benefit to either my career or ministry, I'm glad I did it because of what I gleaned personally.

And, as it turns out, there's going to be a 'graduation ceremony' during 3rd service on May 21. There have been a few folks who have finished varying levels of work and the head of the online school is coming, with full academic regalia, to confer degrees and such.

Not sure if I'm going to be in cap and gown (I don't even know what the protocol is for Master's level headgear) or not.

But my grad fee is paid and all is in order.

My creative had kind of shut down during the push to finish.

Hoping it has had a nice break and is ready to come back online now.

2 comments: