Friday, July 15, 2016

A Tour through Ps. 119: Ayin

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi
A quick little anecdote before I jump into this week's passage...I read a number of sewing-related blogs, and one of them is written by a lady in New York who creates beautiful Jewish ritual articles.  She recently posted about a Torah mantle she repaired; in the photos, one Hebrew word is prominent on the mantle.  As a direct result of studying Psalm 119....I figured out what the word is.

The word is Shalom.

I felt inordinately pleased with myself.  I have definitely learned at least a little by doing this. ;-)

This week we're looking at the 8-verse section that starts with the Hebrew letter Ayin, which looks very much like a script 'Y'.    Verses 121-128, as presented in the NIV 84:

I have done what is righteous and just; do not leave me to my oppressors.
Ensure your servant's well-being; let not the arrogant oppress me.
My eyes fail, looking for your salvation, looking for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant according to your love and teach me your decrees.
I am you servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.
It is time for you to act, O LORD; your law is being broken.
Because I love your commands more than gold, more than pure gold, 
And because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path.

And, my dictionary -dredging has resulted in the following:

[I] Have produced judgement and justice; [do] not abandon me to my oppressors.
Pledge good to your servant; do not let arrogant [ones] oppress me.
My two eyes are completed by your salvation and by your word of righteousness.
Deal with your servant with your loving kindness; your statutes teach me.
Your servant I [am]; give me understanding to know your testimonies.
Time to act, Yahweh, for your law is violated.
Concerning, howbeit, your commandments; I love [them] above gold, even above pure gold.
Howbeit, since all your statutes lead straight; I hate every false path.

There is a plea in this passage, regardless of the translation, that I think is most appropriate for this time...It is time for you to act, O Lord, your law is being broken.

Not just broken...violated, ignored, overturned by people who want to promote their notions of what should be right over what God has said. Every news broadcast lately seems to have prompted me to cry from my spirit, 'It's time for you to act!  We are making a mess of it all!'

But I truly can only answer for myself.  Where am I ignoring God's law, to do what I think best?  How am I listening to His teaching, seeking out the straight paths?

Back to the word that crossed my path earlier...what am I doing to foster Shalom, nothing missing, nothing broken, nothing hurting...?

No comments:

Post a Comment