Thursday, October 1, 2015

SSMT Verse 18 - 2 Cor. 4:17-18

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

It always amazes me that the Apostle Paul,  who would list out his sufferings later in this very book this way: 

Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one [note:  this was a prescribed punishment, so dictated because 40 lashes was deemed a fatal beating].  Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea  [note: this was written BEFORE Paul was sent to Rome and was shipwrecked off the coast of Malta]. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in  danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers.  I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. --  2 Cor 10:24 - 27.

would have a perspective on the hardships of life that challenges me today.

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.  -- 2 Cor 4:17-18, NIV84

If that was what Paul considered 'light and momentary troubles', then I am embarrassed by my petty whining and complaining.

And I need to remember that a little more often.

Beth has a great devo today on frustration...particularly regarding getting frustrated w/trying to commit scripture to memory; it's like she's been eavesdropping on my mental conversations with myself.  If you've got time, go have a listen. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment