Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Putting a demand on it...

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I didn't make new year's resolutions, as such, but I did give myself a challenge.

I wanted to see if I could put a demand on the writing anointing; after DIVE, which proved to me I could write a song...even if it isn't a brilliant song...I wanted to work that pump and see if there's good water there.

And we were told that writing is like digging a well...you have to pump out a bunch of mud before you get to the good water.

So, well, I thought I'd start pumping.

My goal is one song a month.

I came up with a song in January; not brilliant, but not bad.  I'm pretty happy with it, although it has no musical accompaniment at all and the bridge may change if I actually put music with it.

So, on to February.

Driving home from work last night, I got a flash of inspiration about remixing a classic hymn (think Cornerstone if you don't know what I mean).

All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name is the one that hit me...with a rather celtic-sounding melody line.

When I got home, I pulled out one of my old Baptist-choir era hymnals and jotted down what I had in mind.

But I don't sing well a capella.  And I had no idea how to capture the melody before I forgot it.

I had an old toyish battery-operated  keyboard that had belonged to my grandmother years ago; I thought I could noodle something out of that.

But I couldn't find it.  I looked all over.  Nothing.  I kinda panicked.

I finally pulled out my classical guitar, that is played with more than played, and managed to pick out a melody line that I recorded fa-so-la style on my lyric sheet.  Because who knows WHAT key that thing is tuned to.  I suspect it's at least a step and a half low.
 Ugly and not really complete, but enough to remind me of what I was thinking.

Then, when I got home from work tonight, I happened to ask The Actor if he had seen Grandma's keyboard.

'Why do you want it?' He asked.

Sheesh.  I have to explain???

He had it.  Now I can get it properly transcribed...
Y'know, I *might* want to invest in a slightly more uptown piece of equipment if I really do much of this...lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment