Sunday, December 1, 2013

SSMT Verse 23: Be Holy

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

The next-to-last verse ...

I have been pondering holy since the last post...thinking about those things that are reserved, special, set apart.

I thought about it, baking for Thanksgiving, as I completely botched up the pie crusts.  Oh, they tasted alright despite the frustration I had trying to get them into the pie plate, but they were excessively crumby.  Maybe, I thought, pies shouldn't be quite so special.  I obviously need practice making them.

I thought about it as I pulled out the boxes with the good china...the holiday pattern...and wiped down the plates so we could use them for dinner.  In all the years that I've had a slowly increasing collection of festive, rather pricey, plates and cups and saucers and odd serving pieces, I've only used them about 3 times.  I'm kinda afraid of breaking them.

But what good are they in the box in the back of the cabinet?  Set aside for a special purpose...but if the purpose never comes, or they are so difficult to get to that they're just not used for the purpose, they are useless.  After dinner, I made room in the dish cabinet for them and put them on the shelf, where they can be reached.  When I get a minute, I will likely pull out the rest of the pieces and make space on the shelf for them, too.  So they are accessible and ready to use when the occasion merits.

And I had another little revelation.  Being holy, being set apart, being in reserve, doesn't mean doing nothing but hanging out, waiting for the call to come.  It means actively being ready to be used for God's purpose.  Being practiced up, so that I can execute whatever He calls me to do; being on the shelf and accessible, not buried away in storage.

And that's something to ponder...

You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own. - Lev. 20:26 NIV 84

No comments:

Post a Comment