Saturday, May 17, 2008

When You're Wrong...You're Wrong

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I recently read a quote that I didn't get the opportunity to write down right away; I wish I had, so I'd know I was quoting accurately. I believe it was attributed to Mark Twain, and it went something like this:

"It's not what you don't know that hurts you...it's what you know that you know but isn't so."

I've been eating big helpings of that in the last 24 hours.

Ok, I really thought that I had an arrow when I turned left from one street to another; it never occurred to me that I needed to yield to the car coming off of the parking lot that the road I was turning from ran into. Fortunately, he didn't hit me, but he honked long and loud to let me know I was in the wrong. And, yes, when I went by there today I looked; I was supposed to 'Yield on Green'. My bad.

And the MPact/Teen Girl Ministries talent show this morning...I was sure someone told me last year that it is *always* held at a church about 5 miles from us. But when I got there at 8 AM and found the rest of my Human Video team standing around a locked church, I began to wonder. Oh, no...it was really at a church in the next town over; about a 20 minute drive. My bad again.

And I thought they said spaghetti for lunch and told all my girls (and their parents); nope, it was sandwiches.

Oh, and did I know sign language in human video is expressly forbidden in the rules? Since our girls were the only ones competing in their age group, they got the nod to go to the next level but...um, we were warned we might want to change one little part to take out what is actually sign language.

Nope. Didn't know that.

Some of those things were pretty piddly (you can get over being hungry with a sandwich or spaghetti; doesn't matter), some were embarrassing (the wrong church!!! with gas at $3.75/gallon!!!) and some were potentially dangerous (I still think the city should handle that intersection differently, but I was clearly wrong). But it doesn't really matter; I was wrong on all counts on areas that I thought I was right.

If you apply that to spiritual things, it can get really serious. Sort of like the leaders who refused to consider that Jesus might be the Messiah because 'no prophet comes from Galilee!'

It's enough to keep me on my face before God, seeking to stay free of all levels of deception.

Including ones dealing with traffic lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment