Sunday, February 13, 2011

Overdue

The post I've been trying to type for weeks now...

I went into the fast not really sure what I needed to carry out of it, other than I knew I needed some guidance/direction for the year ahead. What should I focus upon? How should I prioritize?

And I got a Bible verse and a mental picture, which were kind of contradictory. So I'm still pondering them.

The Bible verse came from a repeated 'stumble', over about a week's time. It's Revelation 3:2; not the whole verse, just a phrase that, once I read it, echoed in my heart over and over until I encountered it again a few days later, when it reverberated all over again.

Strengthen that which remains

Now, this was written to the church at Sardis, which received a pretty strong rebuke. But when I read the passage, it wasn't the rebuke that jumped out at me, it was just the little instruction to strengthen that which remains.

And I was encouraged. That's not a dramatic, drastic, revamp-your-life kind of instruction. That's baby steps. I've been beating myself up because I've been so earthly busy I've been no heavenly good, and I feel like I've let a lot of precious moments slip through my fingers. But there is no condemnation, just an exhortation to start where I am, with what I have, and move forward.

I'll save the butterfly picture for tomorrow...or maybe the next day... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment