Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Faithful Faves: Esther

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I've been trying to get a blog post written all week and, because of kids and computer-required homework, I haven't been able to get it done. But that post will have to wait, because it's time to get back into my little tour through scripture... and this week's book is one of my favorites!

But I'm not going with the obvious choice today, maybe because there something of which I seem to be continually in need of being reminded. Today, I'm looking at Esther 2:15 -

When the turn came for Esther (the girl Mordecai had adopted, the daughter of his uncle Abihail) to go to the king, she asked for nothing other than what Hegai, the king's eunuch who was in charge of the harem, suggested. And Esther won the favor of everyone who saw her.

Esther is a marvelous example of living without a personal agenda. God is not mentioned in the book, yet Esther's whole life is a picture of walking in faith.

This verse is that attitude in a nutshell.

With all of the king's treasures to chose from, with the wealth of the kingdom at her command, she gave up her right to choose, deferring to one whose knowledge of the king and what the king preferred was greater than her own. She wanted to make sure she pleased the king; pleasing herself didn't even enter into her plans.

As a result, she gained enough influence to save a nation.

In what areas am I stubbornly seeking to please my own self? What creeps into my thought patterns as 'unfair'? How would those things change if I sought only to please the King?

No comments:

Post a Comment