Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Change of Hats?

More like a complete wardrobe change.

Y'know, for the past 11 months I've been like the cleanup lady at work...I come in and do the odd little routine jobs so that the ladies with the real jobs can work more on those tasks.

I kinda liked being the cleanup lady. I didn't have any really major responsibilities. Do my time, go home. Tend the kids. Sew costumes. Blog now and then.

But it looks like all that's gonna change. We had a department meeting today, and we all got specific assignments. My office maintenance jobs have been passed around...I'm going to become, for want of a better term, the Data Base Administrator.

Now, ya'll, I have a degree in computer science. So it's not unthinkable. But...wow, I had a mental picture of going to a dented metal cabinet, unlocking it with a rusty key and hearing it creak as I opened it while spider webs snapped and a moth flew out.

I've been helping a bit w/some of the data base chores...y'know, the routine ones...but I only know what I needed to know to do that. I've got a LOT to learn. I'll confess, I'm just a little intimidated. Which is silly.

But I'd gotten very comfortable in the cleanup lady role.

On the way home, I remembered something Rita Springer spoke over the congregation in a recent worship service at church. I wrote it down in my journal, because it kinda echoed in my spirit. It was, 'There are talents that you have buried; this year the Lord is going to ask you to go back and retrieve them.'

My CS degree did not pop into my head at that moment. But...hmm...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great quote from Rita Springer. I think it rings a little true in my life this year as well. I'm excited for you and I have faith that you can tackle what is put in front of you. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete