Thursday, May 7, 2009

Let's Pray

posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Today is the National Day of Prayer, and President Obama signed a proclamation to that effect.

There are those who believe that such an observance violates the establishment of religion clause; there are others who were disappointed that the President simply signed the proclamation and went on with his business.

As for me, I spent the noon hour at a multi-congregation prayer meeting, praying corporately for the country, for our leaders, from the local to the national levels; praying for our teachers and our children; praying for our military; praying for other countries around the globe.

Did I feel obligated to pray because Congress and our President said to? No. I felt encouraged to pray. And I was encouraged by participating.

Last week I was handed a printout of a proclamation made by President Abraham Lincoln regarding a national day of prayer and fasting. You can find the text Here.

It's a call to prayer. Voluntary. Attendance/participation is not required. It's a recognition that we have the right to freely exercise the religious activities of faith.

It saddens me that that offends people.

No comments:

Post a Comment