Thursday, February 12, 2009

As If I Had Nothing Better to Do...

Every once in a while Sitemeter indicates that someone lands on the blog via a search that makes me kind of go 'Oh, that's interesting'.

This morning, someone dropped by last week's post on the subject for a split second after searching on "evansville blizzard '78". And that made me wonder what *would* come up on that search, so I clicked through and found out.

Y'know, as a kid (even an 18 year old kid), I tended to not see beyond my nose. I suppose part of that comes from growing up on a very self-sufficient farm in a rural area...I just didn't notice what happened in the wider world.

And, although I knew that snowstorm socked the whole state of Indiana, I had no idea just exactly what happened until I started reading some of those links.

The very interesting 'snow with thunder' that I remember, snug in the dormitory, was life-and-death for many folks.

It was also a meteorological phenomenon, which I discovered when I clicked on The Weather Channel article commemorating the 30th anniversary of what is apparently not 'The Blizzard of '78' in meteorological circles (that referring to a separate event in the Northeast), but 'The Cleveland Superbomb', since the low pressure at the center of that storm dropped to a record low. In fact, that record still stands as the lowest non-tropical surface pressure recorded in the US.

So. Ya learn somethin' new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment