Thursday, May 1, 2008

Unplugged

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Maybe it's because I've been kind of browsing other faith-connected blogs a bit, just to get a feel for how these things generally go (wow, there really are a LOT of faith-connected blogs!) and I've discovered a penchant amongst the bloggers for discussing TV shows (especially American Idol). Anyway, I decided to make a confession that actually stopped conversations in my junior-high girls class at church a few months ago. I mean, jaws dropped and eyes got big and disbelief registered on every face.

What was the bombshell?

We don't watch TV at our house.

Oh, we have one, and we do periodically sit down with pizza and popcorn and watch a DVD or video, there is a Game Cube that gets hooked up from time to time, and when the tornado sirens go off you can bet we tune in to the local weather coverage to see where the storm is and where it's headed, but I've never seen American Idol or Survivor or ER or 48 Hours or...

And if you ask me 'Have you seen that commercial where...' my answer is almost certainly going to be 'Nope.'

You get the picture.

No, I don't necessarily think TV is the Evil of The Age (although you could make a pretty good argument that it is), and no, I'm not trying to protect my family from the vileness of the world (although the 'off' button is a start on that one, too).

Nope. Nothing so high and noble as that.

We just don't have time.

I marvel at how many folks watch an hour or two of TV every night. Where do they find the time? Plus, I'm finding that I can't sit still that long anymore. I can manage to watch a movie if I'm really interested in it and if I have something to do to keep my hands busy... sewing on buttons or hemming pants or even ripping open the inseams of jeans so I can later mend the knees (maybe I should take up darning socks?). But in general...I've just got too much on the to-do list to sit down and watch TV. Maybe if I were a more disciplined, efficient housekeeper...but I'm not. There's always something that needs to be done.

But try to explain to 12 year olds why TV is not important. Talk about countering the culture!

Just curious -- do TVs in a restaurant, visible from virtually any seat, creep anyone else out? Or am I just overly sensitive because it's not on at home?

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that never has seen any of those shows! Not only do I not have the time, but I just can't stand the noise that a TV makes.

    Yes, TV's at restaurants bug me. Mainly because when I go out with family, I want us to interact with each other and not just stare at the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it! I think it's the noise, too...but I don't live in quiet, so I think it's just specifically TV noise that bugs me. Why do we, as a society, seem to need TV everywhere? Too 1984-ish for me. Big Brother is watching....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! You learn something new everyday!!! There are two, maybe three shows that Mark and I watch each week. It's actually the ONLY thing we get to watch. Our kiddos choose Noggin for Preschoolers most of the time...and they win. Those three shows are the only thing that Mark and I get to do to unwind...and just hang out. Our whole family would probably do good to turn the tube off more... There are just certain shows that I really love to watch!!! It's the only thing I really get to do for myself! Kind of sad!! anyway, I admire you guys!! Have a great week!
    Love ya,
    Buffi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, when the older kids were little (15 - 18 years ago), we did have cable and the Disney channel was on a LOT (anyone remember 'Dumbo's Circus' and 'Under the Umbrella Tree'?). But by the time the two younger kids were in the pre-school years the cable was gone; we had a collection of Veggie Tales that got played over and over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! My husband and I didn't have a TV for the first 9 years or so of our married life. Even now, I only watch maybe 2 to 3 hours a week and I'm always working on some kind of hand stitching while it is on. I just don't have time for it, either, and it doesn't seem like I've missed too much!

    ReplyDelete