Friday, May 30, 2008

Flashback Friday #3: Presence Beats Performance

posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Hm...This Flashback thing is tougher than I expected. I need to allow more time for journal-perusing. I thought I could just pick up any journal and find something worth sharing, but it appears I actually wrote more about day-to-day happenings in those ancient journals than I wrote about spiritual revelation.

But here's an entry dated July 21,2003:
David, in Psalms 27:4...
"One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek Him in His temple."

Now, contrast that with [the request of] Solomon in 2 Chronicles 1:9 - 10 :

"Now, LORD God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?"

Don't settle for second best -- the presence of the King is always preferable to the ability to perform in your own strength.


I actually remember when that revelation hit me...David asked for God's presence every day of his life, whereas Solomon asked for the ability to govern the people himself; Solomon's request actually meant he would rely on himself rather than continual revelation from God. And it was a good thing, but not the best thing. David knew if he stayed in God's presence, he would do what God intended.

Which is actually another way of saying...again...that in God is everything we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment