Friday, September 16, 2016

A Tour through Psalm 119: Sin and Shin

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi
 
The next to last letter is two letters in one; Sin and Shin.  It looks a lot like a capital W...with a flat bottom and the middle spike kind of offset to the left..  It has really taken me a while to not think 'W' when I'm looking at it...but I'm gradually learning to  think 'sh' when I see it.

Sin and Shin is the letter that starts each of the verses numbered 161 - 168, and that section reads like this in the NIV 84:

Rulers persecute me without cause, but my heart trembles at your word.
I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil.
I hate and abhor falsehood but I love your law.
Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.
Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.
I wait for your salvation, O Lord, and I follow your commands.
I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly.
I obey your precepts and your statutes, for all my ways are known to you.

And, once more to the land of dictionaries and lexicons:


Rulers have harassed me for nothing, but my inner man in is awe of your word.
I rejoice over your word, finding abundant treasure.
[I] hate deceit and consider it an abomination, [but] your Law [I] love.
Seven [times] in the day [I] praise you because of your righteousness [and] judgements.
Those who love your law [have] great peace, and nothing can cause them to stumble.
[I] have waited for your salvation, Yahweh,  and have observed your commandments.
My soul has observed your testimonies and I love them abundantly.
I have observed your precepts and your divine testimonies, for all my ways are in your view.

The word translated 'peace'  in V. 165 is, of course, shalom.  The lexicon cited in the Blue Letter Bible entry   lists the synonyms wholeness, safety, and soundness.  I have been told the implication is nothing missing, nothing broken.

And the condition that brings about such a desirable state in one's life?

Loving the law of God.  So simple...

No comments:

Post a Comment