Thursday, March 3, 2011

Am I Listening?

Last week, I went to work on Tuesday, thinking I was over the hump as I hadn't had any mono symptoms. I came home tired, but not worn out, and really figured I was on the uphill.

In the mail that day was a precious card from a friend...stamped and decorated, with a devotional reading in it. I thought of you as I read this devotional... she wrote.

I quickly read through it; it was about trusting God in times of weakness. A very good word. I smiled to myself, I'm over it now. But how sweet of her to send it!

Well, let me tell you, I was NOT 'over it'. My Sweet Baboo called the doctors office on Tuesday THIS WEEK to find out how long I should plan to lay low. They told him 6 - 8 weeks, IF I honestly rest.

I'm only about halfway done.

So I dug my friend's card back out, and this morning made it part of my devotional. The note says it's from Jesus Calling

Thank Me for the conditions that are requiring you to be still. Do not spoil these quiet hours by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again...instead of resenting the limitations of a weakened body, search for My way in the midst of these very circumstances. Limitations can be liberating when your strongest desire is living close to Me.

I actually have not been wishing them away; but I HAVE been trying to squeeze in things that I didn't have time to do when I was active. Hence I am NOT being still. I actually almost feel like I'm wasting the down time by NOT being down. I'm fiddling with things...not terribly taxing, but DOING just the same...when I could be sitting at the table, with my Bible, with a couple of books that I really want to read, soaking Him in.

Instead, I'm puttering about doing things, fearing that I'll be up and active before I get the stuff done and...having wasted my opportunity to draw near to Him by doing stuff.

Yes, it's a contradiction! And, in my down time, I don't have enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment