Sunday, July 11, 2010

Remembering Nora

I'll admit it...today's my birthday.

I'm visiting family; we had a kind of short-notice family reunion today at a nearby park. Cousins I haven't seen in years were there. It wasn't a birthday party; it was purely coincidental that this was my birthday.

At some point My Sweet Baboo leaned over and said, "Happy Birthday!" I smiled at him, and thought, you know, there are lots worse things I could be doing on my birthday.

Then I remembered one birthday that will always be just a little painful to remember. The same set of aunts/uncles and cousins I was with today all met then, too.

It was the day of my grandmother's funeral.

As I recollected that, I did a bit of math and realized that today was the 25th anniversary of that gathering. Hard to believe it's been 25 years. She influenced every one of us cousins, worked hard all her life and set an incredible example for generations to follow. I still miss her.

But she would've been pleased to have seen us all together today. And I'm glad for the little nudge to think about her today.

Her [grand]children arise and call her blessed...

2 comments:

  1. Blessed (day after your) birthday, and thank you for being such a blessing to us. Being able to know your grandmother is a great gift! I miss mine, too, and hope to be as good an influence in the lives of my grandchildren as she was in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Happy Birthday to you! I'm sure it was a wonderful day, even though it was a little bittersweet, too.

    ReplyDelete