Friday, February 5, 2010

Blogging Bible Study: Philippians Intro

You know, when I start these things I don't study them out and then write them up for the blog; I basically just blog my own study. So sometimes I have to say, "You know, I thought I knew something but I was wrong."

That's the case w/the introduction to Philippians. For some reason, I had it fixed in my head that Paul wrote this during his final imprisonment, when he was in the horrible Mamertine Prison.

But, as I read Mr. Scofield's notes, I find I have been mistaken. Paul likely wrote this during his first imprisonment...the house arrest mentioned in Acts 28. So, while Paul was not exactly free, he was not in the miserable state I thought.

But still. It's a remarkable letter from someone whose liberties are restricted and who really does not know what his future holds.

The church in Philippi was Paul's first ministry in Europe, and the believers there loved Paul and were much loved by him. Knowing Paul was imprisoned, the Philippians had taken up a collection for him and sent it to Rome with a young man named Epaphroditus. So Paul wrote the letter as a response to the gift, and sent it back to the Philippians w/ the returning Epaphroditus.

Paul no doubt never guessed that 2000 years later believers would still be reading his instructions and exhortations and testimonies; he may not even realized God had a purpose in the letter at all. But such is the mystery of inspiration...that God used ordinary people to do things with extraordinary impact. So I'll be looking for God's purpose in preserving this letter for us to study today. What is the message for me?

Here's the plan:

Feb. 13 Lesson 1 Phil. 1:1 - 11 Affectionate Greetings
Feb. 20 Lesson 2 Phil. 1:12 - 29 Testimony in a Time of Suffering
Feb. 27 Lesson 3 Phil. 2:1 - 16 Exhortation to Humility
March 6 Lesson 4 Phil. 2:17 - 30 Commendations of Coworkers
March 13 Lesson 5 Phil. 3: 1 - 16 Warnings Regarding Legalism
March 20 Lesson 6 Phil. 3:17 - 4:7 Instruction on Living as Citizens of Heaven
March 27 Lesson 7 Phil. 4:8 - 23 Gratitude for Concerned Support

Now, I may change the emphasis of each lesson after I get into it; this is my general outline.

I'm looking forward to this!

1 comment:

  1. Just finished Philippians with my youth Bible studiers. I was left with a better understanding of the joy of humility. Paul wanted that church to be successful, not because of his work, but to carry on the work of the Lord when he was gone. How many of us leave a ministry thinking, "Hopefully, you'll find me unnecessary!" Lovely stuff!
    Alana

    ReplyDelete