Saturday, December 12, 2009

When Faith Kicks In

Several years back, I taught the book of James for the local Christian Women's Job Corps site (those of you who did the James study with me remember that I used that study as the basis for the one I did here). In one of the sessions...I don't remember which...I heard myself say something to the effect of "Faith doesn't kick in until it looks hopeless."

That wasn't in my notes, but I realized that it was true. It's easy to believe God's working when you can see a way out; it's when you don't see a way out that it's hard to hold on to the promises.

I've mentioned that the younger kids are struggling with their grades; that has been a great disappointment to me because I thought we'd been through that and they had adjusted. By the time we realized they dropped their respective balls, there was precious little time left in the term. We've tried to contact the teachers; there's one that still hasn't responded (although it is possible the response has been lost in cyberspace). Meantime, the hole has been dug deeper. Now, there's no excuse for the continued use of the digging equipment...but if we'd gotten some feedback from that teacher, we possibly could've headed it off.

Water under the bridge at this point. We have 3 days of classes and then finals left. There may be reaping of what was sown, and there may be gnashing of teeth once the term is over.

Faith kicking in requires me to believe that God is more concerned with my kids getting what they need than I am. He will not allow failure unless He has a plan to redeem it. No...that's not quite right. If the kids choose to fail, He will allow it. But He also stands ready to redeem it when they follow Him. Ultimately, it's not about my faith that God will not allow my kids to fail, it's about their faith that He can guide them through even personal failure to His purpose if they will commit their way to Him.

Not commit their way to me. Commit their way to Him.

That's the hard part. Trusting Him with them...no matter what.

And I know that things could be soooo much worse. It's not a horrid disease. It's not criminal activity. It's not blatant rebellion. It's...grades. It's a place in the magnet program.

But my heart hurts for them just the same...to put themselves in such a hard place when just a little discipline and responsibility could've prevented the whole thing.

But, I know He is trustworthy; He has plans to prosper and not to harm, plans for a hope and a future.

No matter how ugly it gets for the next term; I believe He is able to put them where they need to be.

Doesn't look good, but I believe.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, Lisa. Trusting God with our children no matter what is always hard. How often I've reminded my self, after too much fretting, that He loves them even more than I do. This is one way mothers grow.

    ReplyDelete