Monday, February 2, 2009

Jubilee Monday #24: A Reminder

I just realized that I passed the halfway point of the Jubilee year a couple of weeks ago (well, actually on January 11) and didn't realize it. That fiftieth birthday is gaining speed as it approaches...

Anyway, I spent some time in a meeting discussing our Easter production today and I gotta tell ya, from a Jubilee standpoint, I am blown away. There were a lot of ideas tossed around (being one who seldom goes to movies or turns on the TV, I found I was way out of my depth most of the time. I guess there is something to say for being culturally literate...even if I hate sitting down as long as it takes to watch a movie).

But, Jubilee...as in, forgiveness. As in, fresh starts. As in, return to the inheritance.

If the celebration of the Resurrection isn't a Jubilee event, then there just ain't one.

And I thought about what Jesus did for me...

He paid my debt, took my consequences.
Restored me to relationship with God.
Made old things of no consequence, and gave me a fresh start.

I recollected a dream I had years ago...

In the dream, I was in Jerusalem. There was a commotion on the street, and I went over with the crowd of people to see what was going on.

It was Jesus, on the donkey, coming into town. And as I looked at Him our eyes met.

But unlike the folks around me, I knew the rest of the story. I knew He was coming, not to reign, but to die. Moreover, I knew He was taking my place.

Now, I wasn't Barabbas in the dream; I was me, Lisa. And I knew that I was the one who was supposed to be under the death sentence...but that He was coming to take my place.

In the moment of eye contact, I consciously knew that was true.

The crowd pushed us apart, and I wandered down the street in a state of shock, grieving. And woke up.

I had forgotten about that dream until the meeting today, in which we discussed, among other things, Barabbas's cross. And suddenly the dream came flooding back to me and I was affected all over again by what He did...for me.

It's good to be reminded of that. I think we forget...

No comments:

Post a Comment