Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Expectant Season: An Advent Study

The Chant

posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

The Expectant Season: A Blogged Bible Study

Lesson 3: The Chant

One of the few advent carols in the hymnal of the church in which I grew up is adapted from plainsong or gregorian chant, which, according to Wikipedia, is the oldest music known as it is the first repertory to have been adequately notated in the 10th century. The haunting minor melody, in the rise-and-fall cadence of the chant, has always evoked a contemplative mood. That it is still part of the Advent/Christmas tradition all these centuries later is testimony to the continuing pertinence of both the melody and the lyrics.

However, this truly is an Advent carol...not speaking of the coming of a baby at all, but of the coming of Messiah

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lowly exile here
Until the Son of God appear.


Of course, when this particular set of lyrics was written (the hymnal I have in front of me attributes the words to the Psalteriolum Cantionum Catholicarum of 1710), Israel *was* in exile...there was no Jewish homeland. Now Israel is once again a nation, but it is pressured on every side and fights daily for its survival.

But this is not just a look for the Messiah to deliver Israel...

O come, thou Dayspring, Come and cheer
Our spirits by thine Advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.

O Come, Thou Wisdom from on high
And order all things far and nigh
To us the path of knowledge show
And cause us in her ways to go.

O Come, Desire of nations, bind
All peoples in one heart and mind;
Bid envy, strife and quarrels cease;
Fill the whole world with heaven's peace.


We all yearn for the day when 'deaths dark shadows' are put to flight, but...consider what the impact is of the coming of Messiah. If He orders all things far and nigh, that includes each of us. How willing are we to be ordered? Even by the Son of God? We forget the price of Christianity; it has become so easy to declare oneself a Christian and believe one fulfills one's duty to God simply by attending church services regularly but continuing to live our lives as we please, telling ourselves 'God understands.' But look at that third verse...we ask to be shown the paths of knowledge and then be 'caused' to go that way. That means we cannot plead ignorance of what God expects. Do we want God's Kingdom? Can we stand being one heart with all peoples? Lay down our individual rights? Because if Heaven's peace is going to reign, it's going to be according to Heaven's standards...not mankind's.

Yet it must be Heaven's peace that fills the world; history shows that mankind's peace lacks staying power.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. - John 14:27, NIV

This Advent season I'm finding myself confronted over and over again with my own selfishness...not big, obvious, loud, demanding, overriding selfishness that makes others cringe, but the small, moment-to-moment selfishnesses that keep me from fully walking in Heaven's peace in my own heart. Things that grieve me at the end of the day because I frittered it away on insignificance.

So, in my own heart, my prayer is 'Oh come, Thou Wisdom from on high...order me inside and out, so that I walk in accordance with the knowledge You have already given me. Do not let me fail to do the good that I know to do.'

But the song reminds us with every chorus:
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!


Because when He comes for Israel, He also comes for all who believe:
This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. - Ephesians 3:6, NIV

He does know my weaknesses, but He will give me knowledge that I do not have to be bound by my weaknesses forever. And, if I'm willing, He will cause me to walk in the way of knowledge...and that is the where His peace is found.

With all my heart, I want to be willing.

Syllabus:

Introduction: Nov. 18

Lesson 1: Nov. 25 Prepare Ye

Lesson 2: Dec. 2 Look at that Rose

Lesson 3: Dec. 9 The Chant

Lesson 4: Dec. 16 We've Been Waiting....

4 comments:

  1. In my small group gospel sharing on Sunday, one question was, "In what Advent gatherings or events will you participate this year? How is God present in them?"

    There was a lot of umming and ahhing, because even though we gather every Sunday of Advent, we struggle as mush as anyone to truly celebrate Advent and not Christmas at this time of year.

    I was the only one who had a quick answer! I told them all about you and how I was truly participating in Advent with you.

    I'm enjoying it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I needed that word...this has been a hard thing for me to put together; harder than I expected! It's outside of my familiar study pattern so I'm feeling rather awkward and unsure of myself. You don't know how much your encouragement means! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were feeling uncertain about this. I have been anticipating this so eagerly, and each lesson you have provided has hit home in a wonderful way. I am learning so much! Thank you for taking the risk and making the effort.

    ReplyDelete