Monday, October 6, 2008

Jubilee Monday #12 - Emulating Brother Cadfael

I've been fruitlessly searching my spirit for a Jubilee post for today, and I came across Deb's post on Becoming Benedictine and something dormant woke up again.

I have collected...and read, several times, Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael Mysteries. The books are excellent; I enjoy them on several levels.

If you can believe it, kinda subliminally I find myself intrigued by/attracted to the extremely disciplined life of the Benedictine order. Surprising, given my sanguine nature and love of spontaneous worship, isn't it?

But the structure of the day...scheduled around canonical prayers...actually sounds sort of secure and comforting.

Maybe that's just a reaction to the crazy unscheduled, flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants lifestyle I've had for the past ?? years?

So, it fits with the notion of Jubilee, and the discipline that I'm trying to foster in myself, to consider a structure to the day. Or, as Flylady puts it, some Routines. (My kitchen sink is not shiny at the moment; I plan to fix that before the day is over...after the plumber has finished his work on the water heater. Long story. ;) ).

But it's not just habits I need to establish...it's the habit of being habitual. After driving off-road for so long, I need to remember what it's like to follow the paved road. The discipline to be disciplined.

Sigh. I wonder how many Jublilee posts are going to be about my struggle to be structured before I Finally Get It. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment