Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Flashback #19 - Who does the bells?

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

This is from August 20, 1998, when the Flute Player was just a fuzz over two years old:

[The Flute Player] has bells on her shoes; not only to let me know where she is but to keep her shoes tied. But she's just at that age where she wants to do things herself, so what frequently happens is that I will tie her shoe in a nice bow, but [she] will insist on trying to put the bells on herself.

Well, the first thing she does is grab the bow and pull it -- untying what I'd already done for her. She tries to stuff the lace into the bell cap and there's nothing I can do until she gets frustrated with her own efforts and lets me do it for her.

Is this a parallel or what? I think the thing that really hit me is that when she tried to finish the job herself, she messed up what had already been done for her....


That's a lesson I need to remember today...and the verse that goes with it is obviously Galatians 3:3 - Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

Which is another reminder to wait on Him...

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Lisa. Thank you so much. It has given me much food for reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great analogy!

    And after we have begun in the Spirit, why would we even want to go back to struggling in our own insufficient efforts?

    I always found that rather exhausting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right...and yet, I find myself running ahead of Him so often, thinking I can do what needs to be done...only to realize it after the fact.

    And it always makes a mess of things. One of my goals in life is to learn to consistently let Him tie the lace *and* do the bells... ;)

    ReplyDelete