Monday, August 18, 2008

Jubilee Monday # 5: The Discipline of Rest

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

A little blurb from last week's post, 'Real rest is a discipline,' has really been confronting me a bit this week. My Sweet Baboo and I got to get away for the weekend, since it was our 28th wedding anniversary (much thanks to older DD and DS for covering us on the home front!) and over the course of the weekend we talked about rest. How much we needed it. As an example, the housekeeping staff at the state park lodge rapped loudly on our door and woke us up at 9:20 Saturday morning. MSB said he'd just been kind of dozing, but I was SOUND asleep and nearly had to be peeled off the ceiling after being startled awake.

Still asleep at 9:20? I was more tired than I realized.

But on my end, the discipline of daily rest means going to bed on time and getting up on time. I've mentioned before that I'm somewhat of a night owl, and it's easy for me to get caught up in a project and stay up until midnight or one AM without even realizing it. 'Course, then I'm toast the next day, because the kids have to be off to school and I can't sleep through it. And I frequently end up catching a 90-minute nap...during what should be prime use-the-day time... and then staying up until way late again.

It's a no-rest cycle.

So, as we discussed on our weekend away, we decided that the discipline of rest means picking a bedtime and sticking to it.

Even if it means I have to put down the book, turn off the sewing machine, save the budget file...whatever.

Jubilee is rest, and real rest is a discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment