Friday, July 13, 2018

Blogging Bible Study: Joshua 14:1 -15:63; Caleb's Determination and the Inheritance of Judah

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi


In 14: 4b, we're reminded again that
The Levites received no share of the land but only towns to live in, with pasturelands for their flocks and herds.

Then we see that
The Israelites divided the land, just as the LORD had commanded Moses.  (14:15)

I don't think that was meant to imply that all the land was doled out at the same time; just a statement that it happened.  It kind of appears that some of the tribes were assigned territory, which they took, but the rest were not assigned theirs until later.  The land was divided...just not all in one go.

I think it's very interesting that the first, and most detailed, description of the allotments falls to Judah.   Later, we'll see that the tribe of Simeon is given their allotment within the borders of Judah's, since Judah's is so large, but none of the others require 11 verses to describe the boundaries, and 42 verses to list all the towns in the territory...111 if I've done my math right, plus the territories of Ekron, Ashdod and Gaza.

It's a pretty impressive description.  I don't know if  Judah got that inheritance purely by lot, or if it came as a result of Caleb's promise from Moses.

Let's go back to Numbers 13 and look at the record of the events that led to Caleb's request.

The twelve delegates who had traipsed through the land had returned with their report.
"We went into the lad to which you sent us, and it does flow with milk and honey!  Here is its fruit.  BUT..." (Num. 13 27-first bit of 28).

That 'BUT' caused all kinds of trouble for the Israelites.  The people in Canaan were strong, some exceptionally large, the cities fortified, the land occupied.

But, as you  know, two guys out of the group didn't agree with the 'BUT'.  Caleb heard the fear-based report and jumped up.

Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."  (Num. 13:30)

The other ten shouted him down and convinced the rest that going into Canaan was a bad idea.  The argument continued to the next day; Joshua and Caleb both  protesting the negative expectations, saying,

"The land we passed through and explored is exceedingly good.  If the LORD is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us.  Only do not rebel against the LORD.  And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will swallow them up.  Their protection is gone, but the LORD is with us.  Do not be afraid of them." (Num. 14:7-9)

Such talk nearly got them stoned.  But they alone of all the folks in the entire nation over age 20 on that day crossed the Jordan and took the land.  And now Caleb  came to Joshua and reminded him of what they had seen and endured and been promised.

"You know what the LORD said to Moses the man of God at Kadesh Barnea about you and me.  I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadesh Barnea to explore the land.  And I brought him back a report according to my convictions, but my brothers who went up with me made the hearts of the people melt with fear.  I, however,  followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly.  So on that day, Moses swore to me, 'The land on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance and that of your children forever, because you have followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly.' " (Josh. 6b-9)

But Caleb wasn't done.  He was just as avid to take the land as he was back at Kadesh Barnea.

"Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert.  So here I am today, eighty-five years old!  I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle as I was then.  Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day.  You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said."  (Josh. 14:10 - 12)

What remarkable faith!  What tenacity!  Caleb had a promise...that he waited forty-five years to pursue...and then had to fight for.  And not just any little battle...he was going into the very focal point of the fear that had immobilized Israel forty-five years earlier.  Caleb NEVER gave up on the word he had from God, and he never doubted that God would give him the promise in full.

And Caleb had a daughter who followed in his footsteps.  In the process of claiming his inheritance, Caleb promised his daughter, Acsah, to the  man who would capture one of the cities.  Caleb's nephew Othniel captured the city, and so Acsah was given to him as wife.  And, apparently Caleb gave Acsah an inheritance.  Because she was bold enough to ask for more.

...when she got off her donkey, Caleb asked her, "What can I do for you?"  
She replied, "Do me a special favor.  Since you have given me land in the Negev, give me also springs of water."  So Caleb gave her the upper and lower springs.  (Josh. 15:18a-19)

It was remarkable enough that a daughter received an inheritance; the Negev was a very dry, desert-like area.  Without a constant water supply,  life would be a struggle of constant moving about to find water.  Springs would allow for settlement and cultivation.  Acsah wasn't just asking for water, she was asking for all that came with it...security and permanence.  And Caleb didn't just give her one, he gave her two.  Because she was bold enough to ask.

Here we have two accounts of asking in faith.  One was asking on the basis of a promise, the other on the basis of relationship.   Neither would have gotten the inheritance without asking.  What is in my heart that I need to believe enough to step forward and ASK to see come to pass?  Do I believe it should come?  Do I have a promise from God, is my relationship such that I can dare ask for the desires of my heart?  Do I even know the desires of my heart well enough to make the request?
Can I state, as Caleb did, that I have followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly?  If not, what is holding me back? How can I move beyond that into wholeheartedness?

No comments:

Post a Comment